Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Everyday Alternative


Looking over my last few posts, it seems to me that there is a theme of me versus capitalism, but that’s not my stance at all. I came to realize this on a trip to Europe where I was actually annoyed by the ‘less is more’ attitude. It didn’t fit the values I grew up with. I found myself thinking, “Where is the big stuff? Why aren’t people thinking More, More More, like we do at home? Why can’t I supersize my meals?” The entire time, I felt like I wanted a big, fat, juicy American hamburger (and I don’t even eat red meat). It’s sad that I missed the fatness and greediness of America, but that’s the reality of it. I’m not against it at all. 

This doesn’t mean I don’t value world consciousness and the green lifestyle. Both have their merits. Therefore, this post is dedicated to uniting the two perspectives. There are large companies that have chosen to take responsible stances, as well as small ones that take their business to a larger level. Here’s H&M’s take on green, and Etsy’s ever-expanding hand-made items market.
H&M frequently has collections that showcase the brands devotion to global awareness, such as the  Green Garden Collection that made use of recycled materials and organic fabrics: 











And the entire Etsy website displays original, artistic and vintage items up for grabs to customers wold-wide, and creates a space where like-minded people can come together as a community:
Estsy clutch, necklace, and painting.


1 comment:

  1. I like that clutch and the portrait is beautiful. I try to be content with less is more, but I'm so spoiled and when it comes to food, I don't eat meat, but I want to eat out everyday. This type of living is the reason I have nothing in my savings now.

    ReplyDelete