Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Urban Oasis

This week is the last week of classes before Spring Break, and it’s already halfway through! This upcoming break will be my first Spring Break within about 500 miles of home during my 4 years of college. It’s the last big break for me as a senior, and I have a pretty good idea of where I want to spend most of it: on my couch.

This might be where I want to spend my break, but un/fortunately I have friends based in DC that want to take advantage of our city. And by ‘take advantage’ I mean party like a tourist- visit all the hotspots, check out the coolest restaurants and experience every nightclub in as much time as we possibly can. First up on the itinerary: Bus Boys and Poets. It’s a cool restaurant in the chic and fashionable part of town that we’ve been planning to visit since we started college.

I’ve done tons of touristy things in the past for Spring Break, so I have a few tips and things to inspire you all who are planning to travel this time around. The most popular sites I know of for student travel discounts and information are STA Travel and Student Universe. STA travel is more comprehensive and includes plenty of guidelines for visiting different cities and many other countries. Student Universe is pretty straightforward. Its goal is to get you to your destination as quick as you can for the cheapest price. There might be better deals out there on smaller sites, but these will ensure you travel with companies that are well-known and reliable.

Hopefully, you’re not like me when it comes to packing. If I’m going somewhere for a week or 3 weeks, I usually have 3 suitcases and a backpack.
 An admirable packing plan from Knightcat

I’m not sure of the exact reason why I can’t pack light, but I think it has something to with putting outfits together. I’m encouraging you guys to do the mix-and-match thing. You know, dressing for day and night, creating a week’s worth of outfits based on one pair of shoes. I admire those of you who have this practice under your belt. For the rest of us, here’s an example from Boho Market:




I hope everyone has a exciting and safe break! Check back for pics of DC.

1 comment:

  1. I looooove that picture from Boho Market! if only I could be that fashionable..sigh.
    My solution to the "what should i pack?" dilemma is to take only the bare essentials on the way to my destination.. and then buy a TON of clothes to supplement while i'm there. Definitely one of those people who comes back with one more bag then I left with

    ReplyDelete